Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The night before Christmas

T’was the night before Christmas, and I with my cart
was making my way around Super-Wal-Mart.
We’d just gotten home from a trip out of town.
There was nary a crumb in our house to be found.
“Aaaaaaaack!” I had shouted. “We’re going to be hosed!
I must get to the grocery before they’re all closed!”

And so I joined up with that last-minute crowd
in that wild mad-house – so chaotic and loud.
But though it was crazy, the people were merry
instead of all frazzled and angry and harried.

I inched through the isles. I’d stop and I’d start
and tried not to run anyone down with my cart.
There were shelves that looked like they’d been mowed through by locusts.
The food was all gone! Disappeared! Hocus Pocus!
Somehow or another I found what I’d need
for my Christmas Eve Dinner and family to feed.

I got to the check out and waited in line.
I browsed through a “People” to make good use of time!
Then finally, yes finally, I got out of there
all my food for the week; 15 minutes to spare!

I made my way home. I unloaded my stuff.
I poured up some wine. Is one large glass enough?
I started our dinner with no need to toil.
Green beans, mashed potatoes, a huge London broil.

I set up the table. They all gathered ‘round.
I put out the food, asked them all to sit down.
“How ‘bout”, said my husband “before we all start
we each can hold hands and open our hearts.
We all can give thanks, one by one, all around
Because we have been blessed, and goodness abounds.”

We took turns. We were grateful for family and friends
whose love, warmth and kindness, it seems never ends.
We were thankful for all of the loving and caring
and kindness and laughter and friendship and sharing.
We gave thanks for the gifts that have filled up our life.
(Especially Mike’s – he has such a great wife!)


Then we started to eat. What a fabulous dinner!
(Could it be this is why I don’t get any thinner?)
When we finished, we tucked the kids into their beds
so that sugar-plum visions could dance in their heads.
I checked on them once. They’d not made a peep.
Two kids so exhausted – already asleep!

We got out the paper and ribbons and bows.
Hold on now….. Just where did my wine bottle go?
We wrapped up the presents. We tried to be quick.
We staged up a visit from good old Saint Nick.

The stockings, hung up with meticulous care,
were stuffed to the brim, with no room left to spare.
The presents, in front of the stone fireplace
would bring a huge smile to each little face.

With a stretch and a yawn and a scratch of the head
I said to my husband “I’m going to bed.”
“You know that the kids will be up oh-so early,
all wound up, excited, incredibly squirrely.
And I need to sleep – to get some good rest
so when morning comes, I can be at my best.”

I brushed all my teeth, (I want them to stay white!)
climbed into my bed, and tucked myself tight.
And just one more thing as I turn out the light……

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

3 comments:

Janice said...

You are a fabulous writer! I loved this update-to-date version of a classic! Can't wait to see pics of Christmas morning and the presents.

Mich said...

I will most definitely have to email you Stan's OU version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. You will love it. I just have to find it. I have no idea where it might be!

"I'm Rachel" said...

Mich -- I would love it!