Monday, July 14, 2008

Now serving stir-fried snake

It's been so dang hot around here, the only thing that sounded even remotely appetizing for dinner tonight was a big fat salad. Well.............. that or Popsicles. And frankly, the Popsicles almost won the coin toss. Less prep, less clean up, less hassle, and -- let's face it -- tastier. I almost did it too, but then I took a few minutes to imagine what the rest of my evening would look like after I got the boys all hopped up on 20,000 grams of sugar apiece, and I immediately got to chopping lettus. The hitch in my salad plan was that my husband, who is 6' 9" and has the metabolism of a hummingbird (bastard) needs something of substance for dinner in order to not lose weight. (See? Bastard.) So I dug around in my fridge to see what kinds of hearty additions I could throw in.

To my spinach and lettus combo, I added a few chopped hard boiled eggs, 1/2 an onion sliced thin, some sauteed mushrooms and some bacon. That oughta do it, don't you think? I added some dressing to it, tossed it around, loaded up the plates, and we sat down to eat. Here's what Gibson had to say about my salad masterpiece after his first 2 bites:
"Mom......... Ummmmmm.......... I don't like this meat" (pointing his fork at a sauteed mushroom) "It tastes like snake."

Apparently, my eldest son doesn't enjoy eating snake meat. And frankly I can't imagine why. I bust my behind to catch the critters -- crawlin' around on my belly under the house and the shed, baggin' 'em in an old pillowcase -- and skinnin' 'em sure ain't no picnic. Especially when they're still wrigglin' around a bit, which they tend to do when they've just had their heads removed with the sharp end of a shovel. I mean, I'm hear to tell ya...... preppin' those suckers for a meal, and figurin' how I'm gonna disguise it in the main course is hard work! And here he has the nerve to just up and announce at the dinner table that he don't like snake? Now what am I going to do with all that snake meat I got stashed out back in the smokehouse? And all that snake sausage I been storin' in the freezer? It's not like we ain't been eatin' it in various dishes since he was 6 months old, and this is the first time I've ever heard tell of him complainin' about it........... What gives?

I'm gonna hafta' re-work my dinner plans for the rest of the year if he up and decides tomorrow night that he also don't like coon.

4 comments:

Janice said...

so that night i came over for fish tacos...?

"I'm Rachel" said...

You got it baby! Snake. Well, I guess it coulda been 'coon too. I can't remember exactly, and I make my "fish" tacos out of either..........

Janice said...

At least you didn't take the mouse hoem with you.
Or did you? Was that what was in Gibson's pocket??
:)

vonbad said...

You should try some possom, they are free on the side of the road.