Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Question of the day

Warning: If you continue reading this posting, you are required to leave your opinion in the "comments" section.

Seriously. I mean it. I need your opinion. Even if 9 times out of 10, you just lurk in the periphery, you must leave a comment today. "Why?" you may ask. Well, I'm taking a poll about something very, very serious. Something that affects all of us on a daily basis. Global Warming? No. The AIDS epidemic? No. Ethnic Cleansing? No. I'm talking about Grocery Store Etiquette. More specifically, Grocery Store Check-Out-Line Etiquette.

Here's the scenario:
  • There are 3 carts in the check-out-line.
  • The person accompanying Cart A has his/her groceries up on the belt and is in the process of checking out.
  • The person accompanying Cart B has left the line, however his/her full cart remains in line.
  • The person accompanying Cart C is waiting behind Cart B.
  • Now, the person accompanying Cart A is finishing his/her transaction, and it is time for the next person to start loading his/her groceries onto the belt.
  • The person accompanying Cart B has not yet returned.
So, my survey question is this: What is proper etiquette for the person accompanying Cart C? Does he/she wait for Cart B's person to return, or does Cart C's person skip over Cart B and go next?

Lay it on the line for me folks....... I have to know.

7 comments:

Janice said...

Oh gosh this is hard. You could let the cashier dictate- do they motion for you to come up and get started? Often my reaction is based on my mood and situation... if I am not in a rush I just wait, considering it my good deed for the day. But you need a rule... I say you have to wait until the cashier directs you otherwise. Wow, I actually can't wait to see what others think.

Anonymous said...

I say shove Cart B out of the way and go to it, Cart C. NEVER, EVER LEAVE YOUR CART (unless you're me, of course, and you forgot peanut butter which will only take a second to get...)

I don't know...what actually happened??? I HAVE TO KNOW!

Anonymous said...

Shove the rude cart B out of the way---maybe to the middle of the next aisle---and check out. I know this is what you did because I taught you so well. Plus, even kindergarteners know you can't save your place in line for more than 45 seconds. xxoo

Anonymous said...

P.s. Why aren't you sending thes articles to the newspaper for publishing? You're missing a great opportunity.
An unbiased reader. xxoo

Anonymous said...

Since no one told you that Cart B's owner was returning soon, then you made a decision appropriate for the situation. I know that for most of your life you have made decisions appropriate for the situation!! camping buddy, S.

Anonymous said...

Ok... having read more, and feeling compelled to follow instructions, I would add another scenario - one which was actually practiced by me at Krogers in Lebanon - I moved the absentee's cart to the next line (of course no one can see this, or be behind it in line for this to be effective)... and then I just proceeded to put my groceries on the conveyor...watching as the absentee shopper returned (of course this must be done cleverly out of the corner of your eye - I have great peripheal vision)...she was confused - recognizing her cart but not exactly in the place where she had left it, and looking around, then at me (who was studiously arranging groceries on my conveyor) and then at her basket, thinking perhaps she was losing it...lol....I was truly having a very private laugh with myself....

Anonymous said...

I would look around, impatiently, for 30 sec. or so. Then I would say to the cashier, Well, I guess it is my turn!" If the cashier didn't indicate otherwise, I would load my stuff onto the belt. The only exception would be if cart B had very few items and my cart (C) had many items. In that case I would wait a little longer - minute or so - before unloading my cart.
R., I am really enjoying reading your blog. My sister, B.F. got me started after her recent trip to Lebanon.