Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Guilty

Gibson had his official last day of school yesterday, and frankly, I think I might be more excited about it than he is. Of course it's possible that being that I've been through 18 years of schooling, and he has really only been through one, I might have a better concept of summer vacation than he does. In any case, let me just say a "THANKGODHALLELUJAH" that I won't be speeding up the highway twice a day, every day, 30 minutes each way anymore.
Ever.
Forever.
(Amen!)
And let me just go ahead and get another "HALLELUJAH!" regarding the demise of that little commute, since gas prices will no doubt be 5-freakin'-bucks-a-gallon by the time summer is over, and frankly, that would have just broken our backs. Next year, the G-man will be riding the bus to school. (PRAISE THE LORD!) And that particular school happens to only be 3 minutes down the street. (AMEN!) It will pick him up AT OUR DOOR! (SING IT SISTER!) And drop him back off there too! (SWEET JESUS!) I am so filled with gratitude for that big yellow mass of transpotation salvation that the first time it stops in front of our house, I might just run out the door, climb the steps, and kiss the driver square on the mouth. That's right, I said ON THE MOUTH. I'll do it too. You watch.

But I digress...... The whole reason I even sat down to write this post was to tell a funny story about Gibson, and what happened when I was picking him up from school the other day. (Did you know I'm not going to have to do that anymore? A bus is coming to my house next year. Seriously. Twice a day every day. HALLELUJAH!!!!!)

What was I saying...? Oh yes...... Funny story......
So I went to Gib's school to pick him up, and all the kids were lined up in the hallway by the front doors the way they are every day. I was walking toward the school and the dismissal teacher saw me coming, so she stuck her head inside the door and said "Gibson! Go!" as she gave a little jerk with her thumb over her shoulder. I milled around as I waited for the G-man to emerge and in the meantime she dismissed a few more kids. "Jordan! You can go. Shaia! Devon! Go! Calvin! Go!" I watched as all the other kids came out the doors to their waiting parents when they were called. But no Gibson. I wondered where he was. Eventually she took notice that I was still standing there. Waiting......

She looked at me with some confusion. "Are you still waiting for Gibson?" she asked me. I told her I was. "I called him," she said. "I wonder why he didn't come out?" She stuck her head back in the door. No Gibson. She asked the inside teacher if Gibson went back to his classroom. The inside teacher said No. She looked at me, I looked at her. We both knew he had to still be in the school somewhere.....we just couldn't figure out where.

So where had Gibson gone? Well, it appears that when she stuck her head in the door and told Gibson to "Go", he went..................straight to the principal's office. Now I ask you, what was that child doing right before she dismissed him? Because if that wasn't the mark of a guilty conscious, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

vonbad said...

Call me when the bus driver kissing day draws near. I've seen many a bus driver and, whoa nelly, you are in for a treat.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm!
That response to run directly to the principal's office was a bit too immediate. I'd say the G-man has been through that routine before. (Poor Gibson, I'm sure his mean old teacher picks on him....) Enjoy your reprieve from driving 2 hours daily. What will you do w/ all you time?
I know----call your momma.
xxoo ME