Saturday, January 24, 2009

A lesson in phonics

Gibson is learning to read. And to spell. Which is going to be a problem in the near future because Mike and I always resort to that top-secret-spelling-code that all parents use to avoid a super-charged reaction from the kids before we know for sure that whatever we are about to suggest is actually an option. You know what I mean.... You look across the dinner table and ask "Do we have any c-o-o-k-i-e-s?", or ask casually at breakfast "were you planning on g-o-i-n-g h-i-k-i-n-g with them today?" No parent wants to get their kids completely jazzed about a possibility that's not really going to happen.

So last night, in the car, when I asked Mike if he thought we should get a movie, I spelled it. And I can only assume that what the boys heard was something to the effect of "Should we go get a blah-dee-blah-blah?" Well........let me tell you, that got Gibson's attention, and he went right to work trying to figure it out. "What did you just spell?! What did you just spell?!" Then he knit his little brow and tried to sound out the letters of our top secret code word.

This is new for him. Usually, if we ask him to sound something out, he just blows us off and walks away, slumping his shoulders and muttering something under his breath about how he doesn't really want to. So it probably goes without saying that we were excited when he wanted to try it; That he was actually breaking a word down without any prodding from us.

Slowly, he figured out the 'M' and was working on de-coding the 'O'. Inspired by this sudden burst of self-confidence, Mike tried to help him out. "Do you know what kind of sound a long 'O' makes?" he asked. And from the backseat, it was Landis who answered:
"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".
Landis is only four, so I was shocked that he actually knew what a long 'O' was. More than shocked, I was impressed. Landis is a whiz, and I am continually taken aback by how smart he is.
"Great!" said Mike. "Now do you know what sound a short 'O' makes?" Again, the answer came from Landis. His reply?

"Oh."

And as his answer began to sink in, I started laughing -- Then laughing harder. And finally, I pulled the car into a parking lot because I was laughing so hard I was crying and I couldn't really see where I was going or what I was doing. And if I caused an accident, I didn't think the police officer responding to the call would find it nearly as hysterical as I did. "How did I manage to cause a ten-car pile-up? Well you see officer, my husband asked if anyone knew what sound a long 'O' made.........(Snort, giggle, snort, snort) and do you know what my son said? (Snort, giggle, gasp) he said OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (snort, gasp, giggle, giggle) Get it? (giggle) Do ya GET IT?! (snort) It's a LONG Oh!!!!!!" (This is the part where my legs collapse as I lose the ability to stand, and instead fall down and roll around in parking lot, guffaw-ing like a mad-woman).

I mean, let's face it. The poor guy would lose his patience with me -- and rightly so -- as I bent over and laughed uproariously, grasping at my stomach and slapping at my thighs. Plus, I don't think that a "laughing hard" defense would hold up in a court of law when I'd get arrested for disorderly conduct and/or get myself a "driving while impaired" citation. And then maybe he'd drag me downtown and have me tested for drugs, because he wouldn't know me and wouldn't know that in my case this sort of unruly behavior is fairly normal. That I, in fact, find lots of things to be downright hilarious.

So, um yeah... anyway........ I pulled into the parking lot a tried to get ahold of myself.
Which I did. Eventually. But even now, as I type this, it continues to crack me up. I'm sitting here re-living the conversation, chuckling quietly, and typing away with a huge smile on my face. And thank God I'm alone, because if anyone saw me, I know they would wonder if I had gone completely off the deep end.

So how about you? What has happened to you lately that made you laugh until you cried? Or made you wander around for days with a giggle just under the surface of the smile plastered across your face?

4 comments:

Janice said...

Laughed. So. Hard. It. Hurt.
I didn't see it coming at all. And after I read Landis' response "oh" it actually took me a second... The I read it to Sean who cracked up too.
That is definitely one of my favorite blogs--- up there with "it porks you!"

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I'm so glad you are writing these things down. This ones a keeper for sure.
xxoo MOM

Mich said...

I am literally laughing out loud (for real) not just the casual LOL that people "say."

My laughing woke up Stan who had dozed off on the couch. He was like, "Shhh. What are you laughing at?" And just like you, I just kept cracking up and couldn't stop and I didn't think he'd appreciate the funny if I tried to explain.

Still laughing. Inside. Do not wake the sleeping bear. Snicker!

Anonymous said...

I grew up calling cookies "cedibles." That's how we heard "c" "double o" "k" "i" "e."

I didn't get long o until the end. what a hoot.