Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm in love.....
















Not "in love" in the traditional sense, but "love" in more of a "How the Grinch stole Christmas" sort of way. Does that make any sense? Let me explain.... Do you remember, near the end of the movie, how he was leaning against the mountain, having stolen all the Who's toys, and boxes and ribbons and bows?

He took everything out of every who's house, and even stole the last crumb -- too small for the mouse.

And that bastard, he took all of the food for the feast.
He took the Who hash and he took the roast beast.

And then there he was, leaning against that mountain top, grinning his nasty little grin, just waiting to hear the cries of anguish from those Who's down in Who-ville -- the tall and the small -- when they realized that Christmas wasn't coming at all. But those Who's, they came out of their homes undeterred. They held hands, and they sang, and they had hope and happiness. And that Grinch he just couldn't get it -- until he GOT it! Hope. Happiness. And then his small heart, 3 sizes too small, actually grew 4 sizes that day! Remember? Remember how it got so big it broke the heart-measuring thingy?


So I guess I'm not really comparing myself to the Grinch -- with all the thieving and grouchiness -- except to say that my heart, made so hard and cold and tiny by the unbelievable arrogance and incredible ineptitude of our current administration, grew four sizes last night. Because last night, Barack Obama stole it. This is not to say that I didn't always like him. I did. But now I love him. He has renewed in me a sense of hope and optimism for this country that I haven't felt in a long, long time. And for the first time in almost a decade, I actually think that yes, we can.

6 comments:

Mich said...

What a perfect description. I feel the same way. Maybe we are foolish, but at least we have not dried up into curmudgeoning old farts (not yet anyway). I say we should enjoy this wonderful feeling as long as it lasts! Obama 08!!

Anonymous said...

Do we DARE hope???? We live in a community where people think McCain's VP choice is EXCELLENT!!! WHAT????!!!
Surely to goodness the American people have "gotten it"..........
Do we DARE hope??????
xxoo MOM

vonbad said...

And your thoughts on the Sarah speach last night?

"I'm Rachel" said...

Good question.
I thought she was a great speaker, magnetic, funny, and charming. I think she'd probably be fun to have a beer with. And I would never vote for her in a million years. To paraphrase an friend of mine: "While I think we're long due for a woman in one of the top 2 government positions, I still have a brain, and I will look deeper than a double X chromosome to see what this woman really stands for." And make no mistake, no matter how charming, or witty, or funny I may think she is, I do not in any way shape or form agree with what she stands for. And we've all seen what happens when you elect the person you'd most like to have a beer with.

I read this recently, and this overview sums up my thoughts presciscly:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-steinem4-2008sep04,0,7915118.story

Check it out.

vonbad said...

Exactly, I want the vice-president (and president) to be leading the country, not hanging out drinking beer with me. I think she is a great woman with a lot of potential, but not ready to be the VP.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh... you young things have given me great hope. I too thought---rather surprisingly, that she was a dynamite speaker. It scared me, really, that she was so good. She grabbed her listeners, was funny, direct, excellent with her timing, tough, dynamic---------but too demeaning and too full of herself. And really---WHAT is her experience and what DOES she bring to the position, a heart beat away from the presidency? Banning books in the library, abstinence only education, creationism, no international experience......come on......with all the qualified candidates and qualifified women candidates, wasn't there anybody out there with more national, economic, and international experience?
The rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of religious fanatics and total idiots. Heaven help us......