Monday, August 11, 2008

Don't drink the water

Last year I wrote a post about my mother-in-law, and her insane ability to torment herself with disturbing thoughts. In that particular post, I did my best to explain her train of thought as I understand it; How she creates these scenarios in her mind that are indeed disturbing, yet highly unlikely. And also to explain that as improbable as they are, she believes in them whole-heartedly. Like somehow whatever "worst-case-scenario" she can conjure up is not a remote possibility, but instead the most likely outcome. And this weekend I had a conversation with my husband that proves that the proverbial apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Let me explain.......

We'd gone over to western North Carolina to take the boys rafting. We were planning to camp, but if you've ever been near the Nantahala, you know that it can cost upwards of $30.00 for a 5x5 piece of dirt with loud (and sometimes drunken) neighbors occupying the 5x5 pieces of dirt on either side of you. Being that we were only planning on residing there for an evening -- and realistically didn't have to pitch a tent since the weather was going to be so nice -- we opted instead to "stow-away" on a piece of property near the put-in. I don't want to give too much away regarding this little gem we found, except to say that there was a building on it. And due to a small light left burning, once it started to get dark you could see in. There was an office on the top level -- with a kitchen in it.

Now, one of the problems with stowing-away is that you have to do some primitive camping -- and by that I mean there is no access to water and/or bathroom facilities. But we're fine with that. Our breakfast (cereal and milk) required no water, none of us have any issues with whizzing in the woods, and (if you'll pardon my crassness) any other "bizness" we had could be taken care of in the morning at the put-in. (A put-in with flush toilets I might add.....) But you know, I was thirsty. And I'd forgotten to fill up my water bottle before we left civilization. So we walked down to the previously mentioned building and scouted around. Guess what we found? Water spigots! Two of them. One on the west side of the building, and one on the front. Hooray! This meant I wouldn't have to ration what was left of my water. I knelt down and started to turn the spigot.

Mike: "I wouldn't do that if I were you. How do you know that water is potable?
Me: "There are spigots -- coming out of a building."
Mike: "So? That doesn't mean it's drinkable."
Me: "Ummmm.......Mike? I don't really consider myself an expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that they don't waste time and money on plumbing for non-potable water."
Mike: "It could be coming from a well you know......"
Me: "So what if it's coming from a well? Lots of people get their water from wells. Most of my family grew up on a well."
Mike: (Pause) "Well.... it could be coming from a well that hasn't been tested......"
Me: "Mike, they have a kitchen. I highly doubt that there are 2 separate water sources coming into this building. Clearly, they use the water. I'm sure it's fine."
Mike: "I'm just sayin'......"
Me: (Sigh)

I bent down, filled up my water bottle, and took a swig.

Mike: "You're drinking poison water."
Me: (Nodding) "Spoken like a true Kafsky."

No comments: