Wednesday, September 17, 2008

All the things you've ever wanted to know about me.

So I've had this survey sitting in my in-box for a really, really long time with every intention of filling it out and emailing it back to the friend that sent it to me. I know there are plenty of people who receive them, groan loudly and hit the delete button, but I actually think they're kind of fun. At a minimum they make you examine yourself a little bit..... And since I can't get my act together to just fill out and return the email, I thought I'd take a cue from my other friend, Janice, and just post the answers right here on my blog. So here goes......

  • Do you like blue cheese? Love it. Love it. Love it.
  • Have you ever smoked? Doesn't everyone at least try it at some point during the college years? Though these days there's almost nothing I find more disgusting. Really people.... It's gross.
  • Do you own a gun? Only if you count plastic Nerf-like ones that shoot foam balls.
  • What flavor do you add to your drink at Sonic? I've only been to Sonic once -- and then it was for ice cream.
  • Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? No.
  • What do you think of hot dogs? I forget how much I like them until I have one.
  • Favorite Christmas Movie? Dr. Seuss's animated "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" always warms my heart. But my other choice would be the one with the Red Rider BB gun. A Christmas Story? Is that what it's called? Hilarious! I watched it last year for the first time in a LONG time, and it's even funnier watching it as a parent.
  • What do you prefer to drink in the morning? I don't like coffee at all, but I'll drink anything else with caffeine. Unsweetened Tea, Crystal Light, and yes -- Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • Can you do push ups? Yes. Slowly and in good form. And back when I was a raft-guide I could do them one-armed. I was ripped.

  • What's your favorite piece of jewelry? I have a couple of necklaces that I really love, but I think I'm going to go with my wedding ring.
  • What's your favorite song that starts with a C? Can't let go, by Lucinda Williams
  • Here's the scenario: Your basketball team is up by 3 with 10 seconds to go in the championship game. The other team has the ball. They are a good shooting team but haven't been in this game. You know they will want to try to tie the game with a three. Do you foul or take your chances and let them shoot? I wouldn't foul. I'd play phenomenal Defense and let them take their chances.
  • Who would play you in the movie of your life? Jennifer Gray, pre-nose job.
  • Do you have A.D.D.? Totally. And I find that it serves me well as a mother.
  • What's one trait you hate about yourself? Let's not say "hate". Hate is such a strong word, isn't it? Especially in reference to oneself.... Let's say "find frustrating". There, now. Isn't that better? The thing I probably find most frustrating about myself is that I have a hard time keeping my cool in escalating situations. My husband, Mike, can look completely unfazed on the outside and continue to speak in a logical way with a level, non-shaking voice, even if he is raging on the inside. Even if the other person is being either such a complete ass, or an unbelievable moron that all he really wants to do is reach across the span of airspace between them and choke the life out of him or her. He can stay calm. Collected. Not me. Oh, I can control it for a few minutes. In the beginning, I can keep shoving it back down, even as it tries to bubble up and spill over -- but not for long. First my face will give me away because it will start to get red, and my features will start to get tight. After a while, when I try to speak in a normal voice it comes out all strained. And then, if I try really hard to stay under control, my eyes water a little, which really pisses me off because then it looks like I'm trying not to cry, when really I'm just furious. Ooooooooooooo! I HATE that.
  • Middle name? Before I got married it was Lynne. After marriage I changed it to Haynes, as I didn't want my maiden name to get lost in the shuffle.

  • Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment. Hmmmmmm......at this exact moment? Three thoughts? I wonder what I should write?
  • Name 3 things you bought yesterday? You want me to stop at 3? I did our weekly grocery shopping yesterday, so how about I tell you all the things I bought in three's instead? Like 3 gallons of milk, 3 loaves of bread, 3 blocks of cheese, 3 bags of apples, etc...etc....etc....
  • Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? Water, Iced Tea, Diet Dr. Pepper (though not nearly as much as I used to.)
  • Current worry? Heaven's sakes! Where should I begin? How about the state of our country for starters? It gives me an ulcer. Or how about the fact that so many Americans seem willing to get behind a VP candidate who, aside from a dynamic personality, has little to offer. A person whose Foreign Policy experience can be wrapped up in the sentence "Well, you know George, Russia is really close to Alaska." GAAAAAAAAAACKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! It's so baffling! Hello?!?! Do you know that we're at war? For cryin' out loud, I have more "Executive Experience" than she does. If knowing how to juggle work and a family qualifies you, then SIGN ME UP! I, too, can sit at my kitchen table and work out a budget. Hey McCain, want me to be your running mate? I'm clearly more than qualified. And on the same note, should it also be a worry that the VP candidate garners more attention and support than the ACTUAL PRESIDENTIAL candidate does? Doesn' t that speak to something? So perhaps I should also worry about why so many Americans have their heads up their asses? (Pant, pant, pant, pant...... see answer to "Trait" question above. God -- I think I need a valuim.)
  • Current hate right now? Our crack-like addiction to oil.
  • Favorite place to be? In the outdoors playing with my kids.

  • How did you ring in the New Year? Ummmm......... I can't exactly recall, so it was either fairly calm, or it involved way too much booze. I'm going to go with the former. I think we had a slumber-party in the family room to watch the ball drop, and if I remember correctly, we missed it because we were all asleep on the floor by 10:30.
  • Where would you like to go? Who's paying?
  • Name three people who will complete this. I'm not sending it out, but if you read it, feel free to post comments.
  • Do you own slippers? Yes -- big huge green down booties.
  • What shirt are you wearing? A staff shirt.
  • Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? I've never done it, but I can't help thinking that I would turn over at night and slip out of bed.
  • Can you whistle? Yes, but only by sucking air in, not by blowing out. Weird, I know.
  • Favorite color? I always say blue, but we have a lot of green in our house.
  • Would you be a pirate? Would I get to wear and eye-patch and drink beer?
  • What songs do you sing in the shower? Anything in my range, and usually the last thing I heard on the radio. (And Erin, you should know that I also have conversations with imaginary people in the shower. I think it's how I brainstorm ideas and/or work out issues. I'm not sure but I think it's because the shower is the only place I have a minute of peace....)
  • Favorite girl's name? I've always liked Olivia, but of course have never gotten the chance to use it!
  • Favorite boy's name? We settled on Gibson and Landis, and since then I haven't given it a lot of thought.
  • What's in your pocket right now? I don't have any pockets.
  • What's something that made you laugh recently? Are you kidding me? What doesn't make me laugh?
  • Best bed sheets as a child? I don't remember any specific bed sheets, but I had a sleeping bag that was exactly like a roll of lifesavers -- foil on the ends and everything. It was great.

  • Worst injury you've ever had? I broke my leg once from walking out in front of a car, but actually, the time I sledded down a dam spill-way and landed face-first in a concrete run-off trough might take the cake. Knocked me out cold for a minute, and left me looking like I'd gone 10 rounds with Muhammad Ali. Or that perhaps I was the victim of some serious domestic abuse. No joke. When I went out in public, people would stare with their mouths hanging open when they thought I wasn't looking.
  • Do you love where you live? Completely
  • How many TVs do you have in your house? One. And it's not a wide-screen-flat-screen-plasma-do-ma-jiggy. It's a regular TV. And we don't have cable (gasp) or Direct TV (GASP!). I know.........., I know........
  • Who is your loudest friend? I don't think I have any friends who are louder than me.
  • How many dogs do you have? One. One-big-giant-total-pain-in-my-ass-but-somehow-still-totally-lovable-enough-that-I-don't-kill-him-even-though-he's-cut-it-close-a-few-times-yellow-lab.
  • What is your favorite book(s)? That is an impossible question. My list would be a mile long.
  • Favorite Sport Team? I'll go with the Carolina Panthers
  • What song do you want played at your funeral? I've always said it should be Don't worry, be happy. I suppose I'll stick with that unless something better comes along.
  • What were you doing 12 AM last night? I was dead-asleep.
  • What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? Uggghhhh....is it 4:00am already?!

So there you go. Answers to all the burning questions you had about me. What do you think? Do we have anything in common?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach- I have to take a minute to thank you for sharing your humor with the rest of us. I think, many years ago, when I was an impressionable teenager, you helped me learn how to really really laugh. Like from your gut, fall on the floor kind of laugh. And, right now, even though I am supposed to be very quiet in my little cubicle, inside I want to laugh out loud at those memories. Lots of smiles, Andi

"I'm Rachel" said...

Andi -- Wow. Thank you for such a wonderful compliment. That might be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.

Janice said...

My thoughts on you...
Are you sure you love blue cheese? Cause apparently you can love it and think you hate it. So I am assuming the reverse is true.
Very jealous you could do one armed push ups. Even in the height of my fitness obsession when I did them with my hands on a medicine ball I still couldn't get the one arm...
I agree. Aren't we supposed to pick our president based on hair style and attractiveness? (you know I am kidding)
Don't worry, be happy... really? I mean I guess it is your funeral... hahaha

Anonymous said...

Who's Andi? xxoo MOM