Sunday, September 28, 2008

Take me out to the ball game.

Ugh....... Ugh. Ugh. Ugh! Gibson wants to play baseball, and he's apparently quite serious about it. And as much as I want to, I fear that I'm not going to be able to put him off any longer. When he made this announcement over the summer, I promptly dismissed it by saying "OK, honey. If you want to play baseball, I'll sign you up in the fall..." knowing full-well that this was another of his imaginative, yet short-lived whims, i.e becoming a zombie, getting a gig on Dancing with the Stars or playing soccer. But this baseball thing.... it seems to be hanging around. A few weeks ago he brought it up again. Last week when he asked me if I was checking into it, I lied. Then yesterday at dinner, he asked me if it was fall yet. And later he said "I can't wait for baseball to start!" Geeeesh.... I'm starting to feel bad about leading the kid on. So I guess we're destined for little-league.

Not that I have anything against youth sports. I don't. I have a background in outdoor education and adventure recreation. I'm all about playing. But for the time-being, I do have something against leaping out of bed and running ass all over town to practices and games and practices and games and practices and games and practices and games. Look folks.....here's the nitty-gritty. I'm selfish. I'm going to go ahead an admit it. I love our leisurely Saturdays, with nothing on the agenda but an early morning trip to the grocery store. And even that chore is not really required. (We've got some flour, some cheese and some extra-brown bananas. I'm sure I can whip up something..... ) I just happen to enjoy that time-frame. Early. Alone. And I also enjoy coming back in the door to my kids still in their PJ's, and Mike drinking a cup of coffee on the couch. No deadlines, no places to be, nothing to do. It's Saturday morning bliss.

Maybe I enjoy these Saturday mornings so much because I know they won't last. The inevitability of extra-curricular activities will seep into our lives, just as it does to everyone else. I can clearly remember my own mom bringing me dinner at school because as soon as the bell rang I had gone straight to basketball practice and then to practice for the High School Musical. (Yeah, that's right. I was high-school-musical before high-school-musical was cool.) But at least I was a teenager and not a six-year old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Rachel, I never thought of it that way. I can't wait for B to be ready for sports, but maybe that's because he's in this stage where he doesn't like to stay home and he needs to get out every morning anyway. I will GLADLY take Gibson to some games and practices. Maybe that will entertain B for awhile.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, Rachel............get the kid signed up for baseball for Pete's sake. You played soccer at his age. You were Tigger and Emily Winks was Eeyore.
He's asked 3 times. He WANTS to play.
Besides, Erin said she will take him---so there you are.
xxoo

"I'm Rachel" said...

I know, I know I played soccer at his age. (I was a great Tigger, wasn't I?)I'm just reluctant to start that mad mothering frenzy of running your kids all over town for their various extra-curriculars. Because in the wise word of Grandma Coppess, "Once you start that crap, you can't stop." :) I know I can't hold it off forever, I just don't want it to happen yet. And as soon as I do break down and sign him up, I'll be taking Erin up on her offer! :)