Monday, September 29, 2008

Yeah I'm free........ Freefallin'

Last night I dreamt that I steered a pirate ship off a huge water fall. A massive waterfall. Hundreds of feet tall. And did I mention that my entire family was on board at the time? They were. But I'd noticed that we were drifting aimlessly down the river, with no one at the helm, which meant that we kept running into the shore. And I was worried about what that would do to the ship. So I took the wheel and I pointed that sucker away from shore -- straight downstream. Directly, as it turns out, over an enormous waterfall.

The free-fall was long and terrifying, and the entire time I was falling I couldn't take my eyes off the behemoth rocks littered around the base. They were everywhere and I didn't know how to avoid them, seeing that I had no control over where I might land. And then it occurred to me that even if I landed safely, the boat might smash to smithereens with my husband and kids on board. All I could do was hope. So I squeezed my eyes shut. And I hung on to hope. And I braced myself for impact. And somehow, I missed those rocks. I missed them all. Instead, I plunged deep into the water. So deep, in fact that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to come up for air. But somehow I managed. And when I broke the surface of the water, gasping for air and rejoicing that I'd made it unscathed, I noticed that, against all odds, the ship had landed safely too. It sat, herculean and majestic, rocking gently back and forth in a quiet pool. I threw my head back and laughed out loud, unable to contain the wild grin that split my face.

You think this means it's all going to be OK in the end?

5 comments:

Janice said...

absolutely. i love dreams like that... there is no reason, no answer, no understanding to how you could have steered that ship just right. just faith and hope that made it all work out.

ps. do you think it was pirate ship came about cause halloween is creeping up around your house? next time go for a luxury yacht.

"I'm Rachel" said...

I know... It would have to be a pirate ship, wouldn't it!?

Anonymous said...

It is. It always is (okay in the end).

Have to tell you, too, that usually I skip blog posts about dreams. They're hard to read - but this one was irresistable.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to end the piece by saying you woke up to find that you had wet the bed and were eating your pillow!
Are you going to be all right????
No---you're insane. (But I love you anyway.) xxoo

"I'm Rachel" said...

Thanks, mom, for stating that I'm clinically insane. So if I understand correctly, I'd be less insane had I wet the bed and eaten half my pillow? :) Or does the end result have no bearing on my sanity?