Monday, October 6, 2008

I think her effect on men is universal.

Landis was half-heartedly looking over my shoulder when I signed onto the computer this afternoon, and as it was coming to life, a picture of Angelia Jolie popped up in the lower left-hand corner. "Whoa!" he said, his picture-coloring coming to a complete and total halt. "Who's THAT!?" So I told him her name. He leaned in for a closer look. "Well, I think I love her." he told me. He studied her picture a little longer and then he looked at me. "I think I want her to be my mommy."

Wait. Does my four year old wish I looked like Angelina Jolie? (Which, by the way, would make two of us.) Or does he actually want her to be his mommy, effectively cutting me out of the picture completely? I mean, with all the kids she and Brad have, I'm sure they wouldn't notice one more.... It could work. And though he's blond-haired and blue-eyed, he could get away with saying they'd adopted him from Finland or something. But seriously now.... He's FOUR-YEARS-OLD. And he was totally and completely enamoured of Angelina Jolie with one glance. Head over heels in love, and ready to give up his own mother for a chance to belong to her.

I do his laundry daily. I read him his favorite books every night. I cook his dinner, make him breakfast and pack his lunch. I kiss his boo-boos, dry his tears, and snuggle him when he's feeling sad. I laugh at his jokes. I take him camping. I let him climb under the covers with me at 4:00 in the morning, and I don't even complain when I end up with his butt in my face. But apparently none of that matters. My son is ready to trade me in because I don't look like Angelina Jolie.

4 comments:

Janice said...

He doesn't want to trade you because you don't look like AJ, it is because she looks the way she does. Fine, fine gray line but hey, I'm the girl who says for AJ I would swing that way so what do I know?
One week and he would get tired of looking at her and realize no one could be a more fun mom than you.

Anonymous said...

What a ladies' man he is already!!! Who does he get that from?????
xxoo MOM

Mich said...

Hey, he sees a beautiful woman and he gives her the title of MOMMY. This just shows that, to him, being MOMMY is the best thing to be. You hold the #1 title!!

"I'm Rachel" said...

Thanks Mich. I needed that perspective. :)