Tuesday, November 4, 2008

41 weeks pregnant

November 4th. Election day, 2008. And I feel like I felt when I was past my due date.

Have you ever been pregnant? Did you deliver on your due date? Or even early? If so, you can disregard this entire blog post because you'll have no earthly idea what I'm talking about. But if you've ever been pregnant AND continued to be so way past your due date, you'll know exactly what I'm getting at.

I was a full week "late" delivering each of my children. It would be an enormous understatement to say that it was exasperating. Especially with my first, because at that time I was naive enough to think the doctors knew what they were talking about when they assigned me that completely arbitrary date. So you can imagine that once my due date had come and gone with nary a movement in that stubborn uterus of mine, I spent every waking moment going "Now? Now? Now? How 'bout now? No? Maybe......NOW! Nope. Now? Now? Now? Now? Now? Now? Now? Now? Ooooooooo! Ooooooooooo! Maybe Now! Hmmmmmm.... No. Now?"

And even though it was insane -- and I was fully aware that it was -- my anticipation was so great that it was impossible for me to wait patiently and let the process work. And let me tell you, that sort of anxious and antsy behavior makes for some LONG and torturous days. Not to mention a slightly annoyed husband.

Having weathered that emotionally and mentally painful week, not once but twice, you'd think I'd have learned my lesson. That perhaps I would be better about embracing the process. That I would be calm, composed, even easy-going as we await the results. But...ummmmm.......not so much.

So......... Do you think we'll know soon? Now? Maybe now? How 'bout now? No? Now? Now? Now? Now? Maybe now......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAIT. are you preggers?

Janice said...

i am the same. i am pacing and nervous and i thought i would finally clean out my closet tonight while i waited but i am too distracted. everyone keeps saying "blank" won, but until it is FINAL i will be in this state (blame FL and Bush for that). just cracked open a woodchuck cider to try and relax.

"I'm Rachel" said...

Bethany -- Heavens no. Are you? :)

Janice -- Mike and I are into the beers just trying to keep level nerves! :)

Bethany Cox said...

no. no. no.

Erin Evans said...

Even after today it will be a long process. Nothing is going to change overnight so we have to be patient still.

"I'm Rachel" said...

E --

Yes. It's true. We're still in for a long process. And since we're on the "pregnant/childbirth" metaphor, I'll say that I imagine it will be like having gone through the labor and delivery process, finally holding your newborn in your arms and thinking to yourself: "Holy Shit! We did it! We actually did it!" And though you know the weeks and years ahead will be hard, and exausting, and will often push you to the brink, and that on more than one occasion it will call on you to reach into the deepest parts of yourself to bring out the best you have to give, you do it. And do it with all your heart and soul knowing that in the end all the sleepless nights and hard work will be worth it. Because in the end, you will have offered up the best of yourself to the future.

Bring on the long process! :)