Thursday, November 6, 2008

In need of some distraction

Sunday was one of the most beautiful fall days I've seen here in Charlotte, so we took a drive out to Crowder's Mountain to do some hiking. And not only was it a perfect day for a hike, it was also a chance to see the leaves at their most colorful. So off we went. The hike is a couple of miles long and mostly uphill, but the boys were amazing, so we made it up the mountain in just shy of an hour. Crowder's Mountain is almost like a huge rock fin jutting up out of the ground, so when you get to the top, you can alternately hike and rock scramble to get from one side to the other. It's fairly wide in spots, but the edges are steep -- and in some places sheer cliffs hundreds of feet high. I'm pretty relaxed about what my kids do when we are outdoors, but in this one instance I thought I might have a stroke from my stress level. Luckily, Gibson made a suggestion that helped distract me and kept me out of panic mode. If you look closely in the reflection of my sunglasses, you can see what had me totally and completely on edge..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that hike is KILLER atleast to my lazy bones. this is an adorable picture of you two by the way.

Anonymous said...

I really couldn't tell what the reflection was. Is that Landis peering over the edge? In which case, why were you grinning from ear to ear????
Loved the picture. Don't forget to download the others on Snapfish. Don't make me start naggine you...............xxoo

"I'm Rachel" said...

YES! It's Landis and Mike pering over the edge of a sheer cliff! Sheesh! I'm only grinning from ear-to-ear because Gibson said "Hey mom! Let's take pictures of ourselves!" And I'm pretty sure he suggested it because my head was about to explode! :)