Monday, November 24, 2008

The Sunday Night Chronicles


  • 9:00pm -- I stretch, yawn and push myself up off the couch, announcing that I'm going to bed because I'm incredibly tired and would really like to get a good night's sleep.


  • 9:30pm -- I brush and floss, put on my PJ's and pad out to the family room to tell Mike goodnight.


  • 9:40pm -- I burrow under the covers and curl up with my book. I read two pages and start to doze........


  • 11:30pm -- I snap awake worried that I've overslept my alarm. I sit up and look at the clock. (Sigh....) I put my book on the nightstand, turn off the lamp and go back to sleep.


  • 12:15am -- Landis shows up bedside, announces that he's getting in and directs me to scoot over. I peel one eye open and tell him to go around. He argues, and insists that I scoot over. Being in no mood for a debate, I inform him in no uncertain terms that I am not moving. I give him two choices: Go around and get in on other side, or go up to his own bed. He cries and says he does not want to sleep next to Gibby. I peel other eye open and tell him that Gibby is not in this bed, that Gibby is, in fact, in his own bed, and that if he does not stop crying he can march his little bootie back up to HIS OWN BED too.


  • 12:17am -- Landis finally quits crying long enough to realize that he has the entire other side of bed to himself, quits arguing, goes around and climbs in.


  • 1:34am -- I snap awake, convinced I've overslept alarm. I look at the clock, (Sigh.....) and go back to sleep.


  • 2:36am -- Landis rolls over and decides that the most comfortable sleeping position for him would be DIRECTLY ON TOP OF ME. He sighs deeply in his sleep and says "Mom, you play the tuba." "OK" I reply, glancing at the clock and wondering exactly how many minutes of sleep I've managed to get thus far. "I'll play the clarinet........." he says. "OK." I reply. ".......AND the accordion." he sighs. "Whatever floats your boat..." I tell him, and I gingerly work my way out from under him, scoot him back over to the other side of the bed and go back to sleep.


  • 3:11am - I have a dream that it's 5:19am and that I've overslept my alarm by almost an hour and a half. I dream that I'm running, running, running..... Trying to call someone -- ANYONE -- to help me fix it. I bolt upright, lunge at the alarm clock and realize I'm dreaming. I roll over and wonder if waking up every hour to an accelerated heart rate actually qualifies as a decent night's sleep before dozing off again.


  • 4:00am -- The alarm goes off. I hit snooze.


  • 4:04am -- The snooze alarm goes off. I lay there contemplating how dangerous it would be for me to just.....close....my....eyes.............for...............one..............more...............................minute................


  • 4:09am -- I jerk my eyeballs open, throw the covers back, and climb out of bed.

1 comment:

vonbad said...

Oh my, its been a while since I checked your blog. Keep exercising to prevent that heart attack:) It looks like I have many years of having 3 in our bed at night. I love snuggling with Nic but don't sleep worth a darn.