Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Has anyone seen my socks?

As is the story of my life, I spent a good deal of yesterday afternoon folding laundry. For some reason, my laundry baskets are like magic buckets...... No matter how much you take out of them they are constantly full to overflowing. (Hmmmmmmmmm......... the term "Magic Buckets" seems like a little too much fun. Perhaps a better description would be that of ocean faring boats taking on water from a giant leak, while also in the midst of a thunderstorm. I bail and I bail and I bail and I bail, but they keep filling up! And at a pace I can barely keep up with!! Mayday!! Mayday!! Mayday!!!) Oh...... excuse me........ Have I drifted off? Let me get back to my original point.

My afternoon yesterday was a lot like my afternoons every day:
#1 - Pick up Gibson from school.
#2 - Fold as much of the non-stop barrage of laundry as I possibly can in an hour.
#3 - Go make dinner.

So imagine my surprise when, after I'd spent a full 45 minutes preparing dinner, I discovered that I'd been holding 10 mis-matched socks under my arm the entire time. And folks, I didn't just slide a frozen pizza in the oven. I chopped and diced. Sauteed and simmered. Stirred and seasoned. I cooked. And apparently I did it all with one arm tucked neatly into my side so as not to drop the gaggle of mate-less socks I'd been so carefully tending. I'd moved onto a completely different task when I happened to notice some fabric coming out from my armpit. "Wha......? What the heck is that?!"

And then it hit me. This is why it's so easy to look around in a crowd and spot those of us who are parents. Because regardless of where we are or what we're doing, we'll be the ones who are BLISSFULLY AND COMPLETELY UNAWARE OF ALL THE CRAP WE ARE HOLDING.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!! I can't even tell you how many mismatched socks I have in the laundry basket. Insane. Where do they go???
I can just see you at the stove, sock in armpit, yelling at Gibson for climing on Sam, politely asking Landis to NOT use the big pasta pot as a urinal because we will be eating dinner out of it (do these things happen when you have 2 young boys?), intently "listening" to Mike vent about his day at work. Superwoman!!

Anonymous said...

Your cousin, Carolyn, wore a small white sock stuck to the lapel of her white hospital coat for an entire day of work w/out knowing it or w/out anyone telling her. This was, of course, before dryer sheets. It seems it has been an eternal problem for mommies. Of course, her arm wasn't pinned to her side the entire day. Amazing talent to cook w/out raising one of your arms!!
xxoo MOM

Mich said...

That is just too funny. :)