Friday, August 17, 2007

He said WHAT?!

I had a good day yesterday. A super-mom kind of day. I worked out, ran some errands, fixed lunch for myself and my boys, packed a lunch to take to Mike, prepped dinner so that it only needed to be put in the oven, and then went out to the whitewater center to do some guiding -- something I haven't done in years. It was great fun, and although I could feel the muscles in my body screaming at me about an hour in, it still made me feel like a robust 21 year old again. And it's heartening to know that at 33 I can still run circles around most of the hot-shot 20 year old boys out there on the water. So I came home around 7:30, at the end of a long productive day feeling quite smug with myself. I'm SUPER-MOM! I can wrangle 2 boys, guide rafts, and keep everybody fat, happy and well-behaved. Or so I believed.

Mike was tucking the boys into bed when I got home. So I sat down at the table to enjoy a few enchiladas -- still smiling to myself, wrapped up all smugly in my super-mom cape. About halfway into my enchiladas, Mike appeared in the kitchen. "I think you need to have a talk with your son" he says. Uh-oh. "Why?" I say. "Well" he says, "at the doctor's office today, when the nurse came in to take my stitches out (removal of fatty lump, no cause for concern in case any of you are wondering) Gibson looked right at her and said 'You're big.'"
I stopped chewing.
He continued.......
"I didn't say anything and neither did she, so I wasn't convinced that she heard him." Mike pauses and looks at me and I know it's going to get worse. My super-mom cape is begining to unwind itself from my body. "I guess he didn't get the reaction he wanted, so then he said very loudly so I know there is no doubt that she heard him: 'YOU'RE FAT!'"
I suck in air so sharply that I almost choke on my enchiladas. I sit at the table, hand over my gaping mouth, horrified, as my super-mom cape comes completely unraveled and lands in a heap at my feet. "He got in big trouble, and I've talked to him about it, but I think you should too" said Mike. I nod and push back from the table. I pause to kick my disheveled cape into the corner, and then I make my way up the stairs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! He probably didn't even realize he was being rude, though, did he?

Anonymous said...

Well, that's the dilemma..... I think there is a possibility that he did, but I'm not positive.